Monday, August 19, 2013

Whitman is One!

Well it's official our baby boy is a toddler now and is well on his way to being a spoiled one. It's a joke in our family that the older you are the longer your birthday is. At one, Whit's birthday was a week long event, so I'm a little nervous for the years to come. It technically started on the 3rd with a visit from Ben's dad and step mom. We had linner (or dunch?) then they came over to the house, Whitman showed off all his latest achievements, and Norm taught Whit how to throw. (yeah, didn't see that one becoming a problem at the time :-/) 

Then on his real birthday Ben, Whit and I all went to the Nashville Zoo. Unfortunately Whit was worn out all day, so he seemed zoned out most of the trip, but he definitely had some highlights. 

Watching the gibsons. Ben really didn't want to keep Whit in his stroller, I think he was having too much fun :-)

Petting the tiniest goats.

Watching the elephants eat lunch.
Note the zombie look I mentioned?
That evening we went over to Ben's mom's and step dad's house for dinner and cake. And balloons! Whit really enjoyed my birthday balloon last month so I knew no matter what, we were going to have a ton of balloons.

Whit's smash cake
By the way, if you didn't already know (or aren't a member of Publix's baby club. Seriously, join already!) When you buy a cake for the adults, Publix will give you a free, matching smash cake for your baby's first birthday. I was in love with how cute it was!


One of our friends' daughters, who is in love with Whitman. I think she would take him if we'd let her!

Our friends' eldest daughter. Hilarious.



When it came to the smash cake, Whit was very deliberate at first...


And then managed to smear it all over his face (and into his eyes - which made an unhappy camper). But he likes icing! I don't think he even got to the cake before Ben took it away. But really that cake was HUGE.

Hanging with the big boys
Gingerly opening presents.
Whit and the big kids band. I couldn't believe how much fun the big kids were having with it!
Then the following weekend we went to Meridian to visit with my family. And we were lucky enough that one of my grandma's former exchange students was visiting from Brazil with her family. It was awesome to catch up with her, hear more about Brazil, and meet her husband and kids. It was even awesome-r to hear the guys bond over the international language of beer! We started out with a few presents at my parents' house, then went out to dinner, and the next night had the cousins over for pool time and cake.

Hanging with Great Grandma Patsy

Most of the crew. Those poor, poor servers.

Ben and Whitman with his new dinosaur. My sister, Jolie with her dinosaur when she was about Whit's age.
Uncle Scott and Cousin Logan
After we sang "Happy Birthday" we clapped and Whit started joining in with a huge smile on his face.
And this past Saturday we went to Huntsville to visit our friends Amanda and Jared for their son, Pierce's birthday party. I was a little nervous since there would be other kids there, lots of food, and Whit is thoroughly pissed every time he's in a car seat these days. But we had a great time! Whit loved following the bigger boys around and the balloons (!) and going around from person to person batting his eyes begging for food. You would think I starve that kid, except for the rolls you can see on him! 


And because my friends are better than I am, Amanda had all her party guests sing Happy Birthday to Whit too. And I bawled. Of course. It was so sweet and I feel so blessed to have her family in our lives. Speaking of blessed, I feel incredibly blessed that this past week went so well with all the travelling and relatives spread out everywhere. Whit had a great time and there were no dramatic scenes and I just thank God it went swimmingly! Of course now that it's calmed down a bit I'm having to cope with having a toddler and that my baby is growing up. I get so excited for the new milestones to come and so sad when I think our days of cuddling are numbered. Here's hoping toddlerhood will be gentle with this newbie.


1 comment: