Thursday, February 20, 2014

Powder Room Progress! Sort of!

After a little bit of "life lesson learning", and some help from a friend, the new light fixture is up and on! I wish I could put into words how frustrating it was to hang this damn thing. First, there's no junction box (thanks builder!), then I can't get a junction box in (thanks pipe), and I can't get it in the other way (thanks freakishly strong staple in a stupid location!), and then I couldn't get it to hang straight (WTF manufacturer?!). So I had kinda of MacGyver'd the thing up there and asked a friend, who's an electrician, to come over and make sure the house isn't going to burn to the ground. Success! It wiggles a little when you touch it, so we will not be touching it. Ever. Thank you 10-year light bulbs!

Pretty, no? And I got it on sale, huzzah! And now to the really hard part: paint color. If you've read about previous paint endeavors, you know it takes me quite a bit of samples to decide. But I only have three this time... because I'm agonizing about what to do after I paint. So paint first...


Gravity / Bay Waves / Polar Star / (Just ignore that last guy)

So here's the agonizing parts to deal with: One, what do I do with the ceiling? The previous owners had painted the entire room red, including the ceiling. So do I paint it white like the rest of the house, or paint the whole room one color? I'm leaning towards painting it all one color since the ceiling is so low over the toilet (this is under the stairs). 

Two, what to do after I've painted? Here's some ideas I'm kicking around:

Contact paper polka dots
(via Apartment Therapy)
Sharpie triangles
(via Design*Sponge)
Washi tape to add a pattern
(via Everything Emily)
This is wallpaper, but drawing a similar pattern with Sharpie
(via NamaRococo.com)
Sooo, you can see my dilemma. What color, then what to do, then what color to do that in?! Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment